The most important person in your estate planning is you. You have spent your lifetime building the estate, now is the time to preserve it and distribute as you desire. Enlisting the help of a lawyer for assistance is an important step but not the first. The first step is deciding what you want. You should prepare for a meeting with an estate attorney to ensure your goals are accomplished. Use this list to begin thinking about your estate plan and your goals:
- List all property you own (real estate, bank accounts, personal items such as jewelry)
- List of immediate family members (children, grandchildren, parents, and spouse)
- Do you plan to give to charity?
- Do you plan to exclude any immediate family members from the plan? Why and are they aware of the exclusion?
- Do any family members have needs greater than other family members?
- Are there specific assets requiring protection?
- Are there certain family members needing financial advice throughout their lifetime?
- Do you own a business? Do you have partners?
- Who will own the business after you pass?
This list is only some of the common questions you should be thinking about to set up your estate plan. Working with an estate attorney will help you work through these questions and more to put a unique plan in place. Estate plans are like snowflakes, no two are exactly the same. You should pick a planner who understands your unique circumstances.
At Revolution Law Group we can help draft YOUR plan for YOUR family’s future.
Revolution Law Group is located in Greensboro, NC serving individuals and small businesses throughout the Triad and surrounding areas. To contact us please visit www.revolution.law or call 336-333-7907.
The information included here is for informational purposes only, is not exhaustive of all considerations when creating documents, is not intended to be legal advice and should not be relied upon for that purpose. We strongly recommend you consult with an attorney and do not attempt to create your own documents.